Jorge holds a Bachelor's Degree in Economics from Francisco Marroquín University in Guatemala and a Master's Degree in Political Studies from Rey Juan Carlos University in Spain, with a Postgraduate Degree in Governance and State Reform from the Complutense University in Spain. He has lectured in the United States, Asia, Europe and most of Latin America, with publications on growth, development, equity, sustainability and competitiveness.
He has been a national and international panelist on development issues, with participation in the United Nations, the International Political Science Association (IPSA), the Inter-American Competitiveness Network (RIAC), the International Society for Equity in Health (ISEqH), and the BAPPENAS of Indonesia. He has worked as a consultant for USAID, IDB, World Bank, GIZ and the Global Development Network. Currently, he is an associate researcher at FUNDESA, as well as the Executive Director of the National Competitiveness Program (CPC) and a professor at Francisco Marroquín University and Escuela de Gobierno.
- Benavides, J., Gutowski, M. and Rayo, M. (2015). " An analysis of Customs Fraud and Contraband in Guatemala: Economic, Social, Institutional and Political Implications for the State of Guatemala". Transparency and Integrity Project (PTI) of USAID, Analytical Document on the problems of Customs Fraud and Smuggling. Guatemala, Guatemala.
- Benavides, J. (2014). "Citizen Security and Development: Towards an Integral Perspective". National Reality Analysis Magazine, Year 3 Edition No. 59 (page 56-78). San Carlos University, National Problems Institute. Guatemala, Guatemala.
- Benavides, J. (2014). "Conditional Cash Transfers Program in Guatemala Policy Simulation and Cost-Effectiveness Analysis". Global Development Network, Strengthening Institutions to Improve Public Expenditure Accountability Program. New Delhi, India.
- Benavides, J. (2013). " Strengthening Transparency in Central America: Mechanisms for the Prevention, Detection, Reporting and Punishment of Corruption". Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, The Central American Network of Think and Advocacy Tanks. Guatemala, Guatemala.
- Benavides, J. (2013). "Policy Simulation for Water Enterprise in Guatemala City: Pricing Water towards Financial Sustainability". Global Development Network, Strengthening Institutions to Improve Public Expenditure Accountability Program. New Delhi, India.